2015 Cookie Walk – 2nd Place
Return to Main Cookie Page
2nd Place Winning Recipe
Team Heyworth – Caroline, Cathy, Christina, and Judy
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (do not melt it!)
- 9 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoosn grated fresh ginger
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla (Mexican vanilla adds a spicy kick)
- 1/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
- Set racks to middle of oven. Preheat oven to 325°. Spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray and cover with 15″ x 12″ sheet parchment paper.
- Heat ground ginger in a small skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Combine flour, toasted ginger, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- With electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat soft butter and brown sugar for 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Mix in the fresh ginger and vanilla. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with 2 additions of milk.
- Using an offset spatula, evenly spread 3/4 cup batter to cover parchment paper on each prepared cookie sheet (the batter will be very thin). Bake until deep golden brown, 16 to 20 minutes, switching and rotating sheets halfway through baking. Remove from over and immediately score into 3″ x 2″ rectangles. Cool completely, about 20 minutes. Using a paring knife or a pizza wheel sprayed with cooking spray, separate cookies along scoring marks. Serve.
Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for several weeks.
This recipe was adapted from America’s Test Kitchen.