2015 Cookie Walk – Holiday Haystacks
Return to Main Cookie Page
Nancy Renee’s Healthy Holiday Haystacks
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 bags instant oatmeal with flax seed (visit Jewel’s organic aisle)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup salted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup raisins
- 12 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnuts
- hot fudge
- Optional: Shredded coconut or powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, oatmeal, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer at medium speed, blend the brown and white granulated sugars in a large bowl. Add butter and mix until grainy, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture, raisins, and chocolate chips and blend at a low speed being careful not to over mix. Add the walnuts.
- Roll into balls and drop onto an ungreased baking sheet 1-1/2 inches apart. Bake 22-24 minutes. Using a spatula, transfer the cookies immediately to a cooling racks.
- When the haystacks have cooled, drizzle with warm hot fudge, adding a pinch of coconut or a dusting of powdered sugar.
Merry Christmas, Happy Channakah, and a Very Happy Kwanza to you!